Saturday, February 03, 2007

Still Day 1 I got grabbed in the butt twice


Day-1 Julee and me starting out the Cairo orientation looking clean and well rested.





Ladies, want to get your ass grabbed, welcome to the local market in Islamic Cairo.

Day 1 after the 1 PM first group meeting, we headed out to Islamic Cairo and local market. The market is filled with smell of fried food, fish, meats, and smoke. Locals shop here unlike the Khan al Khalili, this is the grocery store like Giant or Food Lion back home. People are everywhere, a lot of them had gigantic loads of food, carpet, or anything you can think of carried on top of their head.

- Ouch, I felt that my right butt was pinched. I turned and saw someone passing me in striped shirt, looking no more than 20 years old. Since it was so crowded, I thought maybe it was just an accident. 10 minutes later, I got grabbed again this time, precise and absolutely intentional since it was not in a crowded situation. I turned again, judging from the back, it was again a teenager. Meanwhile I also heard other woman in the group complaining being grabbed. Julee too. It then dawned on me that I should always be a little concerned in crowded situation, no so for my wallet but more for this.

- To go to Al Azar, we need to cross a Barb (gate) into Islamic Cairo. This gate used to hang dead people's head after they have been executed. As I pass it, I look at to check out where would it be possible to hang heads from the gate and imagine blood dripping on the gate to the ground. Yak. How does it feel to walk under it?


Photo left: The gate into Islamic Cairo


- To go into the Al Azar, all of us needed to take off our shoes and all the girls had to wear a headdress. Our local guide Hoda dressed all of us pinning the scarves the way they should be for a Muslim girl. We all got "converted" the first day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home