Friday, December 29, 2006

Foreign Money


I did not even attempt to look for streets myself when I was in Morocco. It was IMPOSSIBLE if any signs were written in Arabic. We relied mostly on memory getting out of our hotel and finding the way back; sometimes with the help of a young boy or teenager who practically was always there, more than happy to guide us for a few Dirhams. Trust is the key and also the tolerance of not being bothered by endless hustling.

On the left are the Arabic numbers. After staring at them long enough, I think now I have learned them by heart.

We ordered the foreign currency a few days ago and received it today. I've only bought the Egyptian pounds since I am not sure how Jordan is going to turn out. Julee hands me two thick envelopes of 20s and 10s. I am shocked by the thickness of the bills as a result of the small denominations. It's definitely out of the question to put them in my secret hiking pant pocket. I would not be able to bend my legs to sit down on the plane. I will need to think about other hiding spots for them. I wish I did not donate my money belt to the Salvation Army.

Here is what Egyptian pounds look like. (1 US $ is approximately 5.7 EGP)
10 EGP (note the Arabic of 10 is the combo of number 1 and 0.)
20 EGP


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home