Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Peace Corp -monologue in a drunken state

Back from Mike's company Christmas party, I feel delirious from wine. I always start to think about more philosophical things when I get into this state. All of a sudden, the normal nine to five life just does not seem to make sense at all. While Mike's driving, I keep bugging him and mumbling that I want to join the Peace Corp and work in South America. He shrugs in the dark and completely ignores me, "you'd be bored in the second day", he says, "you simply can't take the physical labor". I say to myself, "yes I can... there is also other lines of work...just think how much difference I can make in someone else' life..."

The only person I've met personally who had any ties w/ the Peace Corp is Maria. That's what she calls herself. Her real name is Mary. She's my bridesmaid A's sorority sister. Back in college, all she thought about was booze and boys. After college, for some reason, she joined the Peace Corp, went to South America, learned to speak Spanish, and worked there for three years. The first time I saw her was at a comedy club after she just got back to the States. A said Mary had changed a lot. A still refused to call her Maria but I did since that was the only Maria I knew. What a turning point of life? She chatted with our Mexican waiter fluently in Spanish, laughed out loud, and talked about her experiences with the locals. She seemed loving life, down to the earth, and a respectful hard working laboror for others' benefits.

We get home, I get online after sobering up a bit. So how does one join the Peace Corp? Their website says people can get involved in fields such as agriculture, business, community development, education, environment, health, information technology, and more. The little step by step quiz tests your passing criteria. You've got to be over 18 (Pass), US citizen (Fail), education level (Pass), Second language (Pass)... I guess not yet, not until I am US citizen. Haven't thought about converting regardless all the visa application ordeal. But now I know. There could be another way of life at the other side of the spectrum...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home