Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Typhoid and Tetanus Prevention?

Typhoid and tetanus shots? Recommended, says the GAP trip dossier. Hepatitis A and B are suggested on the Center for Disease Control website for traveling to North Africa. I've had the last two in 2004 when I went to China so I am still good. I called my mom to check on my immunization record since I could not find it here. She could not remember what I had and what not. She said even if I had typhoid and tetanus shots when I was little, the effect should have long gone by now.

This afternoon I drove to the county health center where I had my hepatitis vaccinations. To my dismay, they no longer offer travel immunization. Tetanus shots are still available but I will need to wait in line for probably over an hour. I looked around the room full of people and thought an hour and half was not going to be enough and I really had better things to do today. I walked out.

Now I don't know if I want to take these two shots. I did not even think about taking any vaccination before I went to Morocco. I watched what I ate - no raw food (well maybe just a little, such as the salad from Jemma el Fna night food stalls) and what I drank -no juice from the fruit stall since I was warned that water was usually mixed in. I only drank bottled water. I was OK. I think I will give my doctor a call. If he provides the shots I will take them otherwise just forget about...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home