Sunday, October 22, 2006

Surprise, Surprise.

Mike said we were going out for breakfast and would not tell me where. We were on I66 for a while before we ended up at the parking lot of REI in Fairfax. I was totally surprised. Does this mean he agrees to let me go on the 17 day backpack trip to Egypt and Jordan?

It all started when I got a call from my coworker on Monday and asked me if I'd like to join her on a trip to Egypt and Jordan in Spring. We had only work interactions in the past. I never knew Julee had this obsession for traveling. She told me on a couple occasions she heard about others talking about my travel cravings, especially my trip into the Sahara and camp overnight. She thought I might be able to tough this one out too. As soon as I got off the phone, I rushed downstairs to Julee's office and started babbling. It's a great sense of relief to see the fire in someone else' eyes when you know they get what you are talking about. I never saw her coming in a million years! She said she'd never imagined me like this either. Yes, course I want to go to Egypt!!! I was going to go with L but she got engaged earlier this year so all the travel plans had to be set aside to accommodate the wedding plans. Egypt is definitely out for Mike. I was quite disappointed for some time since I have exhausted my options for travel companions.

After seeing Julee, I started my own investigation. First, I checked out the gapadventures.com where the tour is offered. It's really dirt cheap compared to all my other trips to Europe, Asia or Caribbean. For 17 days all living arrangement is included (be it a hostel, hotel, camp in the desert, or felucca on the Nile). I just need to book my own tickets to Cairo and back. Their website says "This trip contains a sensational mix of activities where we see the pyramids, journey along the mighty Nile, traverse the stark Sinai desert and cross the beautiful Red Sea. Join the Bedouin in Wadi Rum for a memorable desert stay before taking a dip in the buoyant Dead Sea. View the stunning stone facades in Petra and explore the modern Arab capital of Jordan on this unique Middle Eastern adventure." It also mentions that a suitcase would not be proper for the trip. I would have to backpack. Because the trip condition may not be as comfortable as the others I've taken, there is also a required list of items I need to bring such as flashlight, sleeping bag, and etc.

I have not been able to sit still. I day dream constantly even when I am driving. I've checked tickets, from Air France via IAD to Cairo is not that expensive; I've checked the State Department's website for security warning. Nope, thank god neither country is on the ban list; I've checked immunization shots, visa requirements (I need one for each country); I've calculated my leftover annual leave (I may be a couple days short but I can beg my boss for advanced leave maybe?) Then I printed out the trip dossier from gapadventure and brought the news home to Mike. He said he would think about it. Calling me a pest is kind. I have been harassing him since I asked his permission to go. I call him a dozen times at work to repeat just one thing: "Let me go?"

And today as we walked out of REI, holding my new Kelty backpack that's carefully fitted specifically for my body, I said to him "Thank you baby, I am really shocked." He turned to me and said "Against my better judgment!" We made it to lunch instead of breakfast. I asked him whether he agreed to let me go. He said he hadn't made his decision yet. Secretively I am guessing he would not just buy the backpack for me to be a tease. I am feeling very positive.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you get to go! That sounds so exciting.

10/23/2006 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez! Lucky you! I wish I could go with you! I don't need approval from anyone:), but I do need a visa to come back!

11/01/2006 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home