Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cristo Redentor and Jardim Botanico

Christ the Redeemer, the icon of Rio, stands 700 meters over Rio on top of Corcovado. The status is 38 meters tall. On a sunny day, you should be able to see all the coastlines and the Sugarloaf. When we got to the tram, there was a note on the side of the ticketing window that said ´We are not responsible for the weather on top of of Corcovado´. The ticket girl smiled apologetically and said ´it is not clear today´. I responded, `I know, you are not responsible for the weather on Corcovado´. 10 minutes of ride in Tijuca, the national forest, we are at the summit. As we walked up, we were engulfed by fog and clouds. I did not expect it to be so bad until I realized we were already standing in front of the Christ. We could not make out half of the statue. There was the bottom half and some dubious shadow of two arms in the cloud. The face is not visible at all. Everyone exclaimed in their own language - oh no! you can´t see anything!

For amusement, we still took a picture in front of the statue. The camera would not even focus when set at auto focus mode since it could not tell what I was trying to focus on. It was a blur. Oh well, I guess I would have to say I was not too impressed by the newly voted wonder of the world. As for the view, there was leaves three meters down the platform where Christ was standing and down further there was only fog.

We descended the mountain and headed to the Jardim Botanico, which was designed by the order of Prince Regent Dom Joáo in 1808. It has a great collection of exotic plants, a rose garden, an orchid garden, a Japanese garden of lotus pond, and bamboo and an Amazon garden. It was supposed to have over 5000 plants. The rows of palm trees were impressive. This was the best botanic garden and the oldest I had ever visited.

Mike went back to the hotel when I strolled the street fair along the Copacabana beach. Tonight we will go to Ipanema beach for dinner at restaurant Sao Sebastiao in the boutique hotel Froneria. Then we will head to Centro for a Samba club. Tomorrow is the last day. I hope it will not rain.

Also because of the weather, we could not hang glide today and I will have to reserve it for next round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home