Saturday, March 10, 2007

More of Day 16 - Mount Nebo

After Karak, we drove to the Dead Sea. I took a quick dip in the strangest water I've ever swum in (see my blog entry on the Dead Sea) then headed further North to Mount Nebo. Mount Nebo has great biblical significance that it was the site where Moses first saw the Promised Land but was forbidden by God to ever set foot on. He died on the mountain after leading the Israelites for 40 years through the wilderness.

Our minivan went up the winding road towards the peak of the mountain. After we parked near the gate, we walked up hill for about 10 minutes till the imposing serpent cross came into view. It was at the edge of the cliff and the blue sky was its perfect backdrop. Later I learned this was inspired by Jesus's words in John 3:"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up".

Julee and I walked in leisure around the Moses Memorial Church opposite the serpent cross. There was a map displaying all the sites in the panoramic view from Mount Nebo, including the Dead Sea, Bethlehem, Jericho, Jerusalem, and etc. Earlier Daniel told us, on a nice clear day, people claimed that they could see Jerusalem. It got us all excited. Then he added that he had never seen it himself from the peak. I stood in front the map and tried my best, I could not see Jerusalem. In my mind's eye though, I saw what was supposed to be the Land of Milk and Honey. I felt bad that Moses could not set foot in it. But God had his own plans.

The Moses Memorial Church itself was very plain but it had so many beautiful mosaics on the floor and walls. They were about 1500 years old. The color was still so vivid as if they were made just yesterday.

I walked slowly inside the church, absorbing each mosaic. I felt very peaceful. As I got closer to the altar, I sat down on one of the wooden benches and prayed for my family and loved ones thousands of miles away.

Outside the Moses Memorial Church, I saw this slab nailed into the stone wall:


When Julee and I walked downhill towards our minivan, we saw a group of Italians walking up. Among them there was a woman in her 20s, wearing knee high boots in stiletto heels. Julee and I looked at each other. Both of us probably simultaneouly imagined how a sprained ankle accident would happen any second. I had trouble walking in sneakers in general on this trip for the places we've been...I could not believe this! But then again, this is an Italian. No matter when and where he or she is, an Italian is always dressed perfectly to kill!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home